Isa Upanashad [vs16]

By Paramahamsa Hariharananda

pusann ekarse yama surya prajapatya vyuha ra$min samuha tejah yat te rupam kalyanatamam tat te paSyami yo 'sav asau purusah so 'ham asmi

Maintaining, Saving, and Growing

"Pushana" comes from "poshanat iti push an". He who is maintaining, saving, and growing is called pushana. The Soul is called pushana and the sun is called pushana—without the sun nothing can be grown, nothing can be evolved, the production of food-grains is not possible. The whole world will become cold and collapse. No one can survive. This is why the rishi is telling the sun and the Soul, "O Lord, you have created this universe in such a way that we are always getting delusion, illusion and error.

(Details about it have been written in the fifteenth shloka.) But here I am requesting, O my Sun, my Soul, to please remove my darkness (delusion) and protect me, lead me, guide me through the royal road, that is my spinal canal, which is the royal road for God-realization, and lead me to the Kingdom of Heaven which is always in me, in my pituitary. You are abiding there. You are unknown, unseen, unmanifested. My humble request: please let me always feel your living presence in my whole body. You have arisen in the sky, so I am seeing everything which is created by You. Please help and lead me nicely by the short-cut path."

"Ekarshe" comes from "eka rishate iti edarshe". It means: "O Lord, divine Sun, the only God of the universe, O my Soul, You are undoubtedly the living Soul, you are undoubtedly the living Soul. You are showing the whole manifestation of creation by which I may be engrossed in the hiranmaya patra, in delusion. Will you kindly give me ekarshe, which means ekagra-gati (single-minded attention on you)? I will not be absorbed in the world. My attention will remain on you because you are the Creator, you are the creation, you are the Savior. Will you kindly lead me with single-minded attention and devotion? Then surely I will get constant salvation and God-realization."

Sense Control

"Yama” comes from "samyama na iti yamah", which refers to sense control. "O Lord, will you not kindly give me sense control? Because in this tempting world you have given many ups and downs, pitfalls and shortcomings. So if you kindly control my five sense-telephones and make me introverted and keep my mind always in you, then by your grace surely I can get sense control and I can perceive that You are the only doer, and You can lead me to the divine goal."

"Surya" comes from "shubhati karmasu iti surya". This means: "O Lord, O Sun (Soul), you are giving many activities in every human being. You are giving visual work in the mind, but you are the Sun, you are the light. Will you kindly show me your light on the good path, not the evil path, by which I can perceive that You are the only actor in
me?”

Seven Lokas

In the spine there are seven lokas: bhu loka in the coccygeal center, bhuvar loka in the sex or life center, pranamaya-kosha, wherefrom human beings are born; svar loka in the lumbar, navel, or food center, maha loka in the heart center which is giving delusion, illusion and error; jana loka in the cervical center at the back of the neck; tapo loka in the medulla oblongata or Christ center, which is the divine kingdom, where the Soul is sitting on the golden throne; and, satya loka, which is remaining between the pituitary and the fontanel and which is called the seventh heaven.

"Surya" refers to "lokanprerayat". This means, "O Soul (Sun), will you kindly send me from the lower center, visual center to satya loka, where I can perceive that You and I are one and always have been
one?”

"Prajapatya" conies from prajani shakti yat tat prajapatye". This means: "You are giving birth to the human being." All matter in the universe—that is the general meaning of prajapatya. Any newborn being is called prajapatya. But the real meaning ok prajapatya is this: "My whole body is the uterus and as a Soul you are giving birth to everything in my whole body. I am talking, O Soul, this is your offspring, You are talking through my mouth. I cannot see, You are opening my eyes. I am seeing You. Hearing, touch sensation, smelling, everything is born through You. They are your children. Any work that is accomplished by me, You have given me the sensation to do it. You have given birth to the thoughts in the brain and accordingly you are doing work in my whole system."

This is real prajapatya. "O Soul (Sun), through my every expression you are coming out. You are the issue. You are giving birth to that disposition, and accordingly you are doing that same work." That is the real meaning of prajapatya.

"Vyuha rasmin samuha teja" means: "O Lord, You are giving both virulent vanity and divine propensities to every human being. My Reverend Soul, if you force me in the evil propensities, I am undone. But I am keeping my third eye always on You. Will you kindly give me good propensities, by which I can fulfill my human life? Because I am born only to perceive Thee, who art constantly inhaling through me and changing my inhalation from one disposition to another."

"Yat te rupam kalyanatamam tat te pashyami" means: "O Lord, will You kindly balance my inhalation? Will you kindly remove my mind, thoughts, sorrows and anxieties? Will You give me calmness and super-consciousness, by which I will always remain not in viciousness but in divinity and awareness of the inner Self? So I can perceive Thee, I can conceive Thee and I can realize Thee."

"Yo'sav asaupurushah so ham asmi" means: "The Soul who is abiding in the sky as the Sun; the Soul, who has graciously entered into every human being, who is graciously inhaling through me; it is only You. O my indwelling Father, I always feel your presence in my indwelling Self, I bow to Thee a thousand times.”

No comments: